Manor Houses on Fyn and Tåsinge, Denmark Dansk
An Astoft gallery illustrating the architectural styles

Egeskov 1554 "Gothic renaissance"
Hesselagergård 1538-50 "Gothic renaissance"
Lykkesholm 1600, 1780s Renaissance, classical
Nyborg 1265, c.1550 Medieval, renaissance
Valdemars Slot 1678, 1754, 1880 Baroque, rococo, neo-gothic
Manor houses on Sjælland

Click on photos to enlarge

South of Ringe

Dscn2675-levmid-u1-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (71745 bytes) Dscn2641-rotcrp-lev-u1-540-u0.3-q50.jpg (55210 bytes) Dscn2645-levmid-u1-540-u0.4-q60.jpg (69846 bytes) Dscn2646-rot-crp-u1-405-u0.3-q50.jpg (52431 bytes)
Northeast South West Entrance

Built around 1554 by the statesman Frands Brockenhuus. "Gothic renaissance" architecture, a peculiar mixture of the gothic middle ages and the new renaissance style. The latter can be recognised in the depressed round-arched windows, the round-arched blank arcading in the gables, the double string course between the high cellar and the ground floor.
The house is built of the large bricks introduced in Denmark in medieval times and known as "monk stones". It consists of a high cellar, two floors, watchman's passage and attic. Tower in the centre of the west side with main entrance and stairs, two corner towers on the opposite side, projecting friezes of round arches between the floors - all as at
Hesselagergård and Borreby. Egeskov differs however in two respects. It is built as a double house, that is to say two long houses joined together; and it is a genuine water castle that rises directly out of the lake. It stands on oak piles and the walls rest on a stone plinth. There are countless arrow slits but many now bricked in. 
The gables were originally curved. They were changed in the 1880s to crowstep gables when the towers were heightened. The appearance before the changes can be seen here: 
From the south      From the north      (Pictures at Egeskov's web site ).

Dscn2638-levmid-u1-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (63130 bytes) Dscn2663-transf-lev-u2-540-u0.3-q60.jpg (74733 bytes) Dscn2676-levlght-u1-540-u0.5.3-q60.jpg (62428 bytes) Dscn2655-u1-540-u0.5-q30.jpg (59065 bytes)
Neo-gothic entrance block (1881) Views of Piet Hein's super-egg (1990)  Renaissance Garden

Dscn2650-u1-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (62606 bytes) Dscn2668-levmid-u1.0.3-540-u0.5.3-q60.jpg (54189 bytes) Dscn2648-levmid-u1-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (62497 bytes) Dscn2651levmid-u1-540-u0.5-med.jpg (60971 bytes)
The Yellow Room with Louis XVI furniture Dutch bureau The state room

Dscn2658-lev-u1-540-u0.5-med.jpg (63182 bytes)
The Rigborg Room

Here Rigborg Brockenhuus was imprisoned for life in the 1590s after she met Frederik Rosenkrantz and "They came so close that she was thereby delivered of a son" After five years her father died and her conditions were softened.

East Fyn, north-east of Svendborg

Dscn2724-levmidrght-u1-540-u0.5-q40.jpg (83445 bytes) Dscn2728-rotcrp-lev-u1-405-u0.3-q60.jpg (44120 bytes)

Denmarks oldest renaissance building, erected 1538-50 by chancellor Johan Friis. Built of large red brick on a granite plinth. The construction started as a late gothic defensive castle with moat, but by the end it had introduced many renaissance features, especially the highly decorated round gables inspired by the church architecture of Venice. Also decorative tops to the towers and depressed round-arched windows. Typical of the time are the blank arches below projecting brickwork and the watchman's passage at the top with machicolation for missiles and boiling liquid (as, for example, on Johan Friis' manor house Borreby on Sjælland).
Internally Hesselagergård is famous for its frescos in the Deer Room. 

Hans Christian Andersen connection

East Fyn

Dscn2744-u2-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (78665 bytes) Dscn2745-u1-540-u0.5-q40.jpg (73889 bytes) Dscn2741-crop-u1-640-u0.4-q60.jpg (61534 bytes)
West wing South and north wing Odense Gate 1640 and barn

The west wing was built c.1600. Scored rendered facade with string course between the two floors. Projecting square tower. Curved renaissance gables later replaced with crowstep gables. The south and north wings in classical style added in the 1780s.

Hans Christian Andersen connection Lykkesholm website

Nyborg Castle
East Fyn

Dscn2925-crp-u0.5-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (61756 bytes)    Dscn2924-levmid-u1-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (76973 bytes)    Dscn2923-crp-u1-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (62293 bytes)
West                          South                             East

Dscn2926-lev-u1-540-u0.5-q40.jpg (66989 bytes) Dscn2922-u1-540-u0.5-q40.jpg (58462 bytes)
North East tower

This important castle originally had four wings but only the west wing and east tower remain. First built around 1265. Enlarged and changed in the middle of the 16th century when the west wing was lengthened and heightened with a walkway and round-arched frieze.
The Danish kings held their state counsels here from 1282 to 1413 in accordance with the agreement which the kings had to sign upon their accession.

More about the castle 

Valdemars Slot
On the island of Tåsinge, south of Svendborg

Dscn2687-rotcrp-u1-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (60866 bytes)    Dscn2684-lev-u1-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (72398 bytes)    Dscn2697-u1-h600-u0.4-q40.jpg (85381 bytes)    Dscn2689-rotcrp-u1-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (65124 bytes)    Dscn2692-u1-540-u0.7-q40.jpg (60952 bytes)

Dscn2694-rotcrp-levmid-u1-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (56342 bytes)    Dscn2681-u1-540-u0.5-q70.jpg (69139 bytes)    Dscn2685-u1-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (77821 bytes)

A most attractive manor house complex by the sea consisting of an artificial  lake with the baroque main house of 1678 at one end and rococo buildings of 1754-5 on the other sides.
The original house was built by King Christian 4th for his son Valdemar, hence the name. It was destroyed by the Swedes in 1658 and rebuilt in 1678-80 in the baroque style by the new owner Niels Juel. Reddish brown walls on a granite plinth, cellar, two floors, attic with hipped roof and many dormer windows.  Main entrance in the middle with a wide staircase. Projecting wings on the garden side, the southern wing containing the chapel on two floors. The tall neo-gothic chapel windows inserted as part of the restoration of 1880 broke the symmetry of the facade. 

The architect G.D. Tschierscke added the new buildings to the complex in 1754-5. A curved wall links the main building at both ends to rococo gatehouses. These are rendered in white with yellow detailing and a clock tower in copper on a black, glazed tile roof. East of the gatehouses are long narrow estate buildings. At the far end by the sea lies an elegant rococo facing the main house across the lake.

Dscn2696-levmid-u1-540-u0.5-q70.jpg (74140 bytes)    Dscn2695-rotcrp-u1-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (61270 bytes)

The entrance hall from 1678. Marble floor in back and white panels. The rococo decoration is from the 1750s (over the doors and on the ceilings).

Valdemars Slot website

Manor houses on Sjælland

Map of Denmark

Front page of Astoft's Danish section

Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)

All photographic images in pages within the domains & are © Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size 3megapixel originals are available for approved purposes.