Richmond upon Thames - Riverside
Richmond Riverside - a period re-creation by
Quinlan Terry 1984-87. A variety of new buildings in different Classical
styles of the 17th-19th centuries, giving the impression of piecemeal development through
that period. Incorporates three restored buildings. The buildings vary in styles, materials, colours and textures,
e.g. red and yellow brick, reconstituted stone, stucco. Inside is mainly
offices. There are other buildings behind the river frontage not shown
Click on photos to enlarge
restaurant building with round-arched colonnades on both main floors,
Tuscan below, Ionic above.
to the restaurant building is Whittaker
House, a stuccoed terrace of 21 bays. Inspired by a non-executed 1760s design by Sir William Chambers.
in the style of an English late 17th century country house.
Gate with Palladian style archway and Venetian windows. Restored buildings
on either side, to the left Heron House of 1716, to the right Palm Court
of the 1850s.
Tower House at the east
end is a remodelling of an Italianate building of 1856.