Jęgersborg Deer Park (Dyrehaven)

Click on photos to enlarge

Dscn8868-varlt-crop-u2-h405-u0.5t4-q60.jpg (73776 bytes)

Dscn8867-u2-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (56673 bytes)          Dscn8889-u2-540-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (50941 bytes)

Dscn8886-u2-540-u0.5t3-q50.jpg (78190 bytes)          Dscn8887-levlrmid-u2-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (55924 bytes)

The palatial hunting lodge Eremitagen (The Hermitage) lies at the highest point in Dyrehaven (the Deer Park) on the edge of Copenhagen. The park was established as a hunting domain in 1670 by King Christian V. Eremitagen was built in 1734-36 for Christian VI, replacing a previous more modest and dilapidated hunting lodge. It is beautifully situated and can be seen widely across the park from both west and east. The view to the east from the house looks across the sea to Sweden (last picture above).

Dscn8868-varlt-crop-u2-h405-u0.5t4-q60.jpg (73776 bytes)          Dscn8875-transf-u2-540-u0.5t3-q40.jpg (78015 bytes)          Dscn8873-crop-varlt-u2-h560-u0.5t3-q30.jpg (83950 bytes)          Dscn8872-crop-u2-740-u0.5t3-q30.jpg (79306 bytes)

The house was designed by Laurids de Thurah with Rococo motifs of the Late Baroque period. The ground floor is plain except for the horizontal grooving and the entrance on the main facade, with its columns supporting a balcony. Broad steps lead up to the entrance. Also on the main facade, projecting end bays with round pediments. Pilasters in pairs across the first floor and free-standing corner columns. Composite capitals (i.e. Corinthian-Ionic). Many Rococo decorations on the facades, and on the chimneys. Mythological hunting figures in niches and on the copper-covered mansard roof. A portrait in relief of Christian VI over the balcony doors.

Dscn8879-transf-varlt-vary-u2-h405-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (62636 bytes)          Dscn8882-crop-u2-h405-u0.5t3-q50.jpg (62467 bytes)          Dscn8883-varlt-varr-u2-540-u0.5t3-q50.jpg (60519 bytes)          Dscn8884-transf-varlt-u2-h405-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (69436 bytes)

The pilaster pairs continue around all sides together with the corner columns. Stags heads under the balcony on the east facade. King Christian V died in 1699 of injuries received while fighting a stag outside the previous hunting lodge.

Dscn8876-varlt-u2-540-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (46023 bytes)

The house is flanked by sphinx statues.

The name Eremitage came from France. It  referred to the idea that the lodge be a retreat after the hunt for a meal, undisturbed by other people (a hermitage). The servant stayed in the kitchen in the cellar where they prepared and set a table to be hoisted up to the dining room through a hatch in the floor.

about Eremitagen (at Danish ministry website)

Front page
of Astoft's Danish section

Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)

All photographic images in pages within the domains & are © Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size 3megapixel originals are available for approved purposes.