Oxfordshire - St Botolph Church
Click on photos to enlarge.
Notes in italics from Oxfordshire by Jennifer Sherwood and Nikolaus Pevsner
Yale University Press, New Haven and London.
A small Early Norman church of
flint and stone with patches of herringbone construction, aisleless, ...
and an apsidal E end. In 1850 there
was a restoration by Ferrey, who inserted two round-headed windows in the
apse to correspond with the original one in the N, and lancet windows in
the nave in imitation of the C13 lancet to the SE. He also built the S
porch. Part of the Norman N doorway remains, now blocked, with plain jambs
and a hogbacked lintel. ...
Rood screen and loft designed
in 1914 by Walter Tapper in C15 style. ... In 1850 wall paintings
uncovered in the chancel were repainted following the original outlines,
mainly diaper pattern and a band of scroll decoration.
Part of a Norman pillar piscina
standing in the apse. The capital is carved with a head and leaf
scrolls forming crockets.
Last picture, nave looking west