Astoft

The architecture of

Corpus Christi College, Oxford

Click on photos to enlarge.
Notes in italics from Oxfordshire by Jennifer Sherwood and Nikolaus Pevsner (1974)
Yale University Press, New Haven and London.



P8081912-transf-u2-720-u0.3-q40.jpg (81027 bytes)               P8081955-transf-u2-720-u0.5t2-q60.jpg (92817 bytes)

At Corpus everything is on the small side; that is what makes it so lovable. Front Quad, the quad begun even before Bishop Fox of Winchester had founded the college in 1517, is nice and intimate, and the ranges are not high, and Fellows' Quad is just a cloistered strip in front of a building. ...


Dscn1962-transf-varlt-u2-720-u0.3t3-q40.jpg (76084 bytes) P8081906-transf-cln-u1-h540-u0.5t3-q40.jpg (66384 bytes) P8081899-transf-u2-720-u0.5t3-q40.jpg (80721 bytes)

The facade to Merton Street is of three storeys, it is true, but the third is a heightening of 1737, and so the gate tower seems small again. ... the facade has the usual rhythm of two-light and one-light windows. However, one window is much bigger. It looks ecclesiastical but belongs to the hall.


P8081998-levdk-u2-h540-u0.5-q50.jpg (72277 bytes)

The vault in the archway is of 1817.

P8081912-transf-u2-720-u0.3-q40.jpg (81027 bytes)     P8081907-transf-varlt-u2-720-u0.5t3-q50.jpg (80836 bytes)     P8081910-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q20.jpg (75391 bytes)     P8081916-transf-u2-720-u0.5t3-q40.jpg (80386 bytes)

The Front Quad is of two storeys, with battlements added in 1625. ... In the S range of Front Quad is the library (facing the gateway, second picture). The stepped-up mid-piece ... is of 1817 too.
The Hall lies in the E range. One can just recognise it by the difference in fenestration. But the windows are small again. Their tracery, removed c.1700, was replaced in 1857 by Charles Buckler. ...


P8081997-transf-crop-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q50.jpg (67477 bytes)               P8081997-transf-crop-h540-u0.5t2-q60.jpg (40672 bytes)

In the middle of the quad is the famous sundial, with the college's pelican on top. ... The date is 1581, but there were later alterations, some of the C17. ...


P8081918-transf-u2-720-u0.5t3-q40.jpg (74151 bytes) P8081921-rot-fillf-u2-h540-u0.5-q60.jpg (88797 bytes) P8081926-rot-u2-720-u0.5t3-q30.jpg (72026 bytes)

The doorway in the south east corner leads into a passage past the entrance to the chapel and on to Fellows' Quad. The chapel dates from the foundation years and has three-light windows, not very large. ... The panelled roof is of 1843, but old materials were used. The carpenter in the chapel was Arthur Frogley, the carver Jonathan Mayne. ... Stall and reredos are probably of c.1677 - But is the screen also of c.1677 or is it of 1701-5, designed by Townesend? It is relatively modest, but has detached columns and a big segmental pediment and the spandrels of the doorway in open-work. ...


P8081929-rot-levrgb-u2-720-u0.5-q40.jpg (83278 bytes) P8081950-rot-u2-h540-u0.5t2-q30.jpg (95943 bytes) P8081953-crop-levdlltmid-u2-h540-u0.5-q60.jpg (55448 bytes)

The altar painting is of the school of Rubens. ... The showy E window is by Henry A. Payne, 1931. ... John Reynolds, died 1607. Demi-figure in a niche.


P8081955-transf-u2-720-u0.5t2-q60.jpg (92817 bytes)         P8081959-transf-u2-720-u0.5-q40.jpg (68975 bytes)         P8081957-transf-u2-720-u0.5t5-q40.jpg (66357 bytes)         P8081978-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (48513 bytes)

Fellows' Quad. This is the smallest of Oxford quads, a narrow rectangle with the cloister to the N and Fellows' Building to the S. Both were built in 1706-12 (replacing an early C16 cloister and chambers), and we don't know who designed them. Townesend has again been put forward; so has Dean Aldrich. The cloister has a very squared exterior, English Baroque in mood, and a plaster vault with occasional stucco decoration. It turns S at both ends to connect with Fellows' Building.


P8081981-transf-u2-720-u0.5-q30.jpg (72884 bytes)         P8081974-rot-crop-u2-h540-u0.5-q60.jpg (61956 bytes)         P8081967-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (67599 bytes)         P8081969-transf-vary-varlt-u2-h540-u0.5-q50.jpg (69756 bytes)

More views of cloister

P8081962-transf-levdllt- u1-h540-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (86659 bytes)               P8081966-rot-u2-720-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (78188 bytes)

John Ruskin memorial in the cloister


P8081957-transf-u2-720-u0.5t5-q40.jpg (66357 bytes)     P8081989-transf-crop-u2-720-u0.5t5-q40.jpg (80586 bytes)     P8081990-transf-u2-h540-u0.3t3-q30.jpg (86455 bytes)     P8081994-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q40.jpg (75126 bytes)

Fellows' Building. This is a serious building, nine bays long and three storeys high, with three doorways on the N side,and on the S side, facing towards Merton Field ... a more conventional eleven-bay composition with a three-bay pediment on giant Ionic pilasters and straight entablatures for the first-floor windows. To the W (towards Garden Quad) are four bays, all blank, including arched niches on the first floor. ...


P8081983-u2-720-u0.3t5-q30.jpg (83344 bytes)               P8081987-u1-720-u0.5t3-q10.jpg (78678 bytes)

View towards Merton Field from south side of Fellows' Building


P8081995-transf-u2-h540-u0.3t5-q30.jpg (84735 bytes)               P8081993-u2-720-u0.3t3-q10.jpg (61658 bytes)

In Garden Quad, south side of the library, i.e. south range of Front Quad. On the west a Gothic style building of c.1905.  


P8232350-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q40.jpg (76137 bytes)       P8232349-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q60.jpg (52817 bytes)       P8232348-transf-u2-720-u0.5t5-q20.jpg (72604 bytes)       P8232345-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q60.jpg (75605 bytes)

East side of Corpus Christi, on footpath between Corpus and Merton. Going north, Fellows' Building followed by east side of the cloister - the E view of the cloister incidentally is a puzzle, seven bays, with the middle window pedimented on brackets, not at all the mood of the cloister. It is in fact of 1928-9 by T.H. Hughes. In this range is the Senior Common Room ... Then Gentlemen Commoners' Building, 1737 - On the E side ... smooth, of six bays, just with two projecting chimneys. Then up to the Merton Street corner ...


P8232344-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q30.jpg (75282 bytes) P8232352-transf-u2-720-u0.5t5-q30.jpg (71515 bytes) P8232588-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q30.jpg (81575 bytes)

Thomas Building. It is of 1927-9 by T.H. Hughes and looks 1900. On the opposite side of Merton Street Corpus put up a four-bay building in 1884-5. Architect T.G. Jackson, as the overcrowding of decoration, the bay-windows, the sudden two aedicules show, i.e. the apparatus as well as the handling.


Corpus Christi Website 

More Oxford at Astoft
 

 

Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images in pages within the domains astoft.co.uk & astoft.com are Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size 3megapixel originals are available for approved purposes.