Astoft

 

Northmoor,  Oxfordshire  -  St Denis Church
14th century

Click on photos to enlarge.
Notes in italics from Oxfordshire by Jennifer Sherwood and Nikolaus Pevsner (1974) Yale University Press, New Haven and London.



Dscn1631-levmid-u1-540-u0.5-q40.jpg (54834 bytes)
Chancel and north transept

Dscn1635-levmid-u1-540-u0.5-q40.jpg (54960 bytes)
Chancel and south transept 

An almost unaltered small cruciform church of the early C14 with a C15 W tower.
In the N transept ... N window with reticulated tracery, E window of three trefoiled lancets under one head.
In S transept ... E window cusped Y-tracery.

In the chancel two trefoiled lancets in both side walls, and a third window on the S with plate tracery.

Dscn1629-levmid-u1-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (55604 bytes)

Nave, north side.
The side windows of the nave have cusped Y-tracery.


Dscn1636-levmid-u1-405-u0.5-q60.jpg (38744 bytes) Dscn1637-levmid-u1-540-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (61047 bytes)

Nave W window of three lights with cusped intersecting of the early C14. The tower was built over the W bay of the nave in the C15.
West gallery 1693.


Dscn1638-u1t3-540-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (44684 bytes)

Nave windows: Unusual short jamb shafts stopped on head-corbels, the capitals, with their big flat leaves in an attempt to imitate oak, chestnut, and beech, contrasting with the stylized foliage of the C13.


Dscn1640-rotcrp-levmid-u1-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (68062 bytes) Dscn1640-rot-crop-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (25403 bytes)

Chancel arch of two hollow-chamfered orders with responds of half-quatrefoil section. Nailhead in the capital of the N respond.

The E window, of three graduated trefoiled lights under one head, with plain circles over the two short lancets, and the S window are closer to E.E. and suggest that the chancel was built first.


Dscn1642-u1-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (54480 bytes)

The sedilia are also E.E. in style, with three trefoiled openings under round heads. Trefoiled piscina recess beside them.


Dscn1641-rotcrp-levmid-u1-h405-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (52235 bytes)

South transept.
S window has reticulated tracery
Canopied Perp image niche.


Dscn1645-u1-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (62125 bytes)

Stone effigy of Sir Thomas de la More ... late C14, in the N transept.

Dscn1637-fontcrop-u0.5t2-q60.jpg (11702 bytes) Font. Norman, tub-shaped, carved with seven-stemmed flower.


Dscn1633-levmid-u1-540-u0.4-q40.jpg (63325 bytes)

S of the church Rectory Farm ... The house is C16. ... The irregularly spaced windows have arched lights under square hoods. Three-storey bay-window in the E wing. The date 1629 over the entrance records alterations. 

Map

 
Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images in pages within the domains astoft.co.uk & astoft.com are Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size 3megapixel originals are available for approved purposes.