Of the medieval buildings
little is evident ... The cloister itself had been re-built in the C14 by
Abbot John Buckerell (1308-29), as is known from a surviving Latin
inscription reset in the E wall of the present house, together with
fragments of the trefoiled arcades and their Purbeck marble columns. ... At
the time of the Dissolution there were only four canons. In 1546 the abbey
was granted to William Abbott, Sergeant to the King's Cellar, whose
descendants are still the owners. They adapted the W range as their house.
... But in 1779 the house was transformed for the then owner, Paul
Orchard, by the architect John Meadows. On the W side .. the centre now
has a sober C18 front, the windows with Gothic glazing bars. On the E side
he created a happy gimcrack Gothic composition: nine bays with pointed
windows and a castellated parapet rising to a central pediment ...
One-storey bay-windows, also crenellated. ...