Farley,  Wiltshire  -  All Saints Church

17th Century

Click on photos to enlarge
Notes in italics from Wiltshire by Nikolaus Pevsner Revised by Bridget Cherry (1975) Yale University Press, New Haven and London

Dscn1903-persp-u1-540-u0.5-q40.jpg (59109 bytes)
Built by Sir Stephen Fox and completed by 1689-90. Fox ... was acquainted with Wren, who may well have helped to design the church.  ...   W tower; nave with transepts forming a Greek cross; chancel. The main entrance is in the S transept. Above the doorway a circular window. ... Hipped roofs. The tower has a parapet with urn pinnacles. 

Dscn1887-u1-540-u0.5.JPG (92107 bytes) Dscn1884-u1-540-u0.3.JPG (78920 bytes) Dscn1882-crp-u1-540-u0.5.JPG (77887 bytes)
The church is of brick (still laid in English bond - which shows the local bricklayer) with stone dressings, including quoins. Round-arched windows with continuous mouldings. Brick gatepiers to the churchyard, with vases.

Dscn1889-lev1.60-u2-540-u0.5-high.JPG (59764 bytes)    Dscn1890-levmid1.20-u2t5-540-u0.5-high.JPG (58707 bytes)    Dscn1891-u1.5-540-u0.5.JPG (58774 bytes)    Dscn1893-u2-540-u0.5-high.JPG (71772 bytes)  
Views to chancel, north transept with family chapel (2 pictures), south transept with organ.
Simple interior with plaster vaults. 
Furnishing nearly all of the time when the church was completed.
Pews cut down in size in 1875.

Dscn1894-levmid1.15-u2-540-u0.5-high.JPG (81593 bytes) Dscn3533-levmid-u1-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (61154 bytes)
The N transept was the family chapel and has the burial vault under.
Individual monuments below

Dscn3527-crop-u1t3-h600-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (58576 bytes)          Dscn3544-crop-u1-h600-q60.jpg (61191 bytes) Dscn3532-crop-u1t5-h600-u0.5t3-q70.jpg (72136 bytes) Dscn3535-crop-u1t3-405-u0.5t3-q70.jpg (42236 bytes)        Dscn3535-textcrop-u1t4-405-u0.5t4-q70.jpg (56591 bytes)

Elizabeth Fox, died 1696. Bust under opened curtain. Columns l. and r.

Sir Stephen Fox himself, died 1716, and his wife,  who got a special inscription starting in conscious medievalism: 'Cy gist' and ending 'Dieu aye merci de leurs ames'.

Charles Fox, died 1713. With columns and segmental pediment. Garlands below them.

Dscn3538-crop-u1t3-405-u0.5t5-q70.jpg (35002 bytes) Dscn3540-crop-u1t3-405-u0.5t3-q70.jpg (36805 bytes)

Dscn1898-u1.5-540-u0.5.JPG (67515 bytes) Dscn1892-u2-405-u0.5-high.JPG (43138 bytes)
Reredos by Salviati, i.e. mosaic. Of 1875  Font. Octagonal, typical of its date.

Dscn1901-rotcrp-lev-u1-540-u0.3-high.JPG (80347 bytes)         Dscn1902-rotcrp-u1-540-u0.4-high.JPG (77050 bytes)
Almshouses. In 1681 already Sir Stephen Fox had founded almshouses at Farley. ... Long, low brick building (Flemish Bond), its centre in line with the churchyard gates. Centre of four bays and two storeys with wooden cross- windows and hipped roof with dormers. To the l. and r. lower two-storeyed ranges of seven doors each with, on the upper floor two-four-four-two windows each. They are simply of two lights. ...



Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)

All photographic images in pages within the domains & are Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size 3megapixel originals are available for approved purposes.