St John the Evangelist Church was
built 1955-7 to a design by S.E.
Dykes-Bower in a neo-Romanesque style. An impressive large brick church
of overall red hue which on closer inspection reveals patterns of many
different colours of brick. About 3/4 million bricks in total. Nikolaus Pevsner
only has one very brief comment on the church: Red brick, large, in a
kind of neo-Romanesque, neither period nor modern. One detects a
slight note of purist disapproval of an impressive and attractive
The sanctuary at the east end is
of two bays and is higher than the nave (in right of first picture).
Projecting from it to the south is the Lady Chapel and to the north the
sacristy (not visible). At the west end the bell tower, only slightly
higher than the nave.