The present entrance to the Theatre
Royal was Beau
Nash's first house. It was built in 1720 by Thomas Greenway (and
so was pre-Wood). The mouldings of
window frames and of frieze are characteristically overdone, as are the
volutes of the brackets of the door-hood. Wood criticizes its
'profuse ornament' and calls it typical of a mason as against an
Above the doorway a bust of Garrick
by Gahagan, 1831.
The ticket office and entrance vestibule is by C.J. Phipps, 1862.