Astoft

 

Aunsby,  Lincolnshire  -  St Thomas a Becket Church
12th century

Click on photos to enlarge
Notes in italics from Lincolnshire by Nikolaus Pevsner, John Harris, Nicholas Antram (2002)
Yale University Press, New Haven and London



Dscn6463-varyelllght-transf-u2-405-u0.5-q60.jpg (33358 bytes) Dscn6461-rot-crop-u2-h405-u0.5-q50.jpg (56793 bytes) Dscn6463-crop-levmid-u2-405-u0.5-q60.jpg (31926 bytes) Dscn6440-vary-u2-540-u0.5-q40.jpg (66859 bytes) Dscn6442-rot-crop-lev-u2-h405-u0.5t3-q40.jpg (58248 bytes)

The west tower is of the later 13th century. The bell-openings have Geometrical tracery with a trefoil in a circle, a quatrefoil in a circle, Y-tracery, and a pointed-trefoiled head instead of other tracery (first and last may be seen above). Shortish broach spire with two tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions. Y-tracery (and Geometrical tracery). The very top of the spire is Perp and has the inscription Ave Maria. The tower buttressing shows that the rebuilding of the aisles was begun after the tower. The S aisle has two-light windows with flowing tracery (not shown). ... The N aisle, being Perpendicular, is a little later still (shown above). Very nice S doorway. One moulding beset with fleurons. Thin buttress shafts l. and r. Crocketed gable.
The exterior was extensively rebuilt in 1861 by William Thompson of Grantham, including taking down and rebuilding the steeple.


Dscn6445-levmid-transf-u2-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (63084 bytes) Dscn6452-lev-mideye-varyr-u2-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (67507 bytes) Dscn6456-levmid-eye-u2-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (65076 bytes) Dscn6446-u2-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (67609 bytes) Dscn6447-transf-u2-h405-u0.5-q50.jpg (60396 bytes)

A specially rewarding church. Examination ought to begin inside with the Norman responds of the chancel arch. They are triple, and the scallop capitals indicate the first half of the C12. Of the same time the one-bay N chapel arch. Again scallop capitals. The arch here is original and has one step and one chamfer. To this church, later in the C12, a N aisle was added. Two bays, circular pier, square abacus, uncommonly good leaf capitals, partly unfinished. The round arches of one step and one chamfer are rebuilt.


Dscn6457-u2-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (61154 bytes) Dscn6451-varc-u2-540-u0.5-q50-vary-q50.jpg (57772 bytes) Dscn6450-varclght-u2-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (57997 bytes)

The S arcade of three bays with slender piers on the borderline between Dec and Perp (mid-C14). Quatrefoils with hollows in the diagonals between the spurs. Bases and abaci already polygonal. Varied leaf capitals. Arches with sunk quadrant mouldings. Hoodmoulds with grotesque stops.
The striking contrast between the N and S arcades can be seen most clearly in the next picture below.


Dscn6454--transf-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (72873 bytes) Dscn6454-crop-lev-u1-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (71504 bytes) Dscn6459-u2-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (60035 bytes)

The C13 tower arch to the nave is is triple-chamfered. The responds are triple with continuous hollows between the foils and the fillets.
Font. Circular, of c.1200.  At the corners four polygonal shafts. The capitals have ribbled leaves, waterleaf, crockets. Spurs extend from them to embrace the bowl. They are small and leaf-shaped, except for the horizontal heads ... 

 

Map

 
Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images in pages within the domains astoft.co.uk & astoft.com are Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size 3megapixel originals are available for approved purposes.